- 260g dark chocolate
- 6 eggs, separated
- 400g beetroot, raw or pre-cooked, grated
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 heaped tsp vanilla extract
- 160g ground almonds
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp raw cacao
For the top:
- 150g crème fraiche
- 3 tbsp beetroot juice (reserved from the grated beetroot)
- 1 tsp honey
- dark chocolate curls
- 1 tbsp grated beetroot
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Grease a 23cm round cake tin with oil. Line the base with parchment and lightly dust the sides with flour. Preheat an oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks together and stir through the grated beetroot.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add to the beetroot with the honey and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the ground almonds, baking powder and raw cacao to the beetroot until well combined.
- Use an electric beater to whip the egg whites together until stiff peaks form (they should stick to the beater when held upside down).
- Gradually fold the egg whites through the mix with a spatula until fully combined.
- Pour the mix into the prepared cake tin. Tap the base of the tin on the worktop a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. Once cooled, carefully remove from tin and either store in the fridge in an airtight container or cover with the icing and serve.
- For the icing: whisk the crème fraiche, beetroot juice and honey together by hand until smooth to form a rich pink colour.
- Spread a generous layer of icing over the top of the cake.
- Decorate by scattering the flaked almonds, chocolate curls and grated beetroot over the top.