- Pre-heat oven to 100ºC (gas mark 1). Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- In a clean bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer add egg whites, honey or maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt. With a clean whisk attachment, beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes, mix in cornflour at the end.
- To form the two meringues you can simply scoop tablespoons sized dollops on to the greaseproof paper, or use a piping bag with a star attachment to pipe the meringues, round or on wreath form.
- Bake at 100ºC for 2 hours. Do not open the oven. When finished baking, shut off the oven and leave inside for another 2 hours or so.
- Once finished cooling in the oven, the meringue is ready to eat. If not eating right away you must store in an airtight container immediately or they will go soft. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- When making a meringue it is important to have very clean utensils as any grease or water can make the meringue not work. Dust some cocoa powder on your meringues before baking for a beautiful pavlova. You can make your meringues ahead and store in an airtight container until ready to be used.
To assemble the pavlova: place 1 layer of meringue on a cake stand and top with half the yoghurt mix and drizzle some chocolate. Add the next layer of meringue and then top with the remaining yoghurt mix. Decorate with cherries, dark chocolate, fresh mint leaves and drizzle with the cherry syrup and serve straight away. Enjoy!