- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Halve the butternut squash and peel the outer skin (get a good peeler for easy work). Slice the flesh into quarters and scoop out the seeds. Cut into 1cm (1/2in) cubes and place on a roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 35 minutes (you will notice the squash getting wrinkly). Stir once every 10 minutes to coat the squash nicely with the oil.
- Place a frying pan over a low heat and add the crème fraiche and Cashel blue cheese, whisk together. Next whisk in the saffron, and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Allow to cook for another three minutes, the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Put a large saucepan of salted water over a high heat, and when it comes to the boil stir in the pasta. It will only take five minutes to cook. Once cooked, drain off all the water.
- Place the cooked pasta back in the saucepan, and stir in the blue cheese saffron sauce and roast butternut squash. Toss together really well, and transfer to a warmed serving dish.
by CLODAGH MCKENNA
600g butternut squash (or 400g peeled and seeds removed)
2 tablespoons olive oil
200ml crème fraîche
100g Cashel blue cheese
½ teaspoon saffron
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper