- 200g butter – softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 400g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until it just forms a creamy texture. Add in the vanilla extract. Don’t cream it for to long of else the cookies will read during baking.
- Add in the egg and then add in the flour.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking parchment and roll out to an even thickness of about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter or a template to cut out shapes. Then put the cookies onto a tray lined with baking parchment. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170oC / Gas 4. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray of 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Use icing, melted chocolate or marshmallows to decorate the cookies.
To make a toast cookie template
- Place a slice of bread onto a piece of card.
- Trace around the bread with a pen and then carefully cut it out.
- Put the card on top of the cookie dough and use a knife to cut out the shape.
- Personalise the toast by using letter cookie cutter. Press them halfway into the cookie dough to spell out the word EAT ME.
- Bake as the directions above allowing a little more time in the oven.
- Paint the toast with edible food paint.